Friday, August 9, 2013

Is Depression Sin?


                  In 2008 I ended an 18-year marriage. The day my divorce was final, I had the strangest feeling I have ever had and hope to never experience again. It was one of relief and sadness.

When I got married, like most of us, I was getting married to that one special person for life. We were a team. We were best friends. She was so pretty I just couldn't stand to be away from her. Not just pretty on the outside, but a beautiful girl on the inside. From 1990 to 2002 we had four children, two boys, my sweet baby girl and then finally a boy who just steals my heart every time I see him. My oldest was my ADD kid. Struggled through everything he did. Struggled in school, sports, just about anything. He has such a good heart you can't help but love him. Number two is my “can do anything” son. I can’t think of anytime he ever had a problem with anything – excellent grades, stays out of trouble, great athlete, etc. Even with the few small problems now and then. I was living the dream.
I never thought my marriage was perfect don’t get me wrong here, but I figured it was about as good as it could get. Along with my beautiful wife and kids, I had a five-acre home in a small town. I had lots of friends in town. I was teaching an adult bible class on Sundays, I coached baseball, I had a great, secure job and she was working part time. The only thing missing, it seemed, was the white picket fence. This is the life I thought I always wanted. I mean, I looked at other people going through divorce and problems and though I would be empathetic, I just couldn’t understand. Then something changed…
I guess the turning point happened when my wife told me my youngest was on the way. That was a bit rough on me.  I was thinking like a typical logical guy. Now we had to sell the sedan and get a mini-van. We had a three-bedroom house with, what would be, three boys and one girl. Plus dirty diapers again. I couldn’t bear the thought. That’s the way I was thinking. For two to three weeks I was not happy. The selfish side of me was thinking that it would be a long time before we would get to go on a vacation again. We were already living paycheck to paycheck how could we make it with another child?
Then the adult in me woke back up and I realized I was going to have another child. I started thinking about the positives instead of the negatives and became excited. God would be there like he always had been. I started thinking of having four grown kids someday with families of their own. To hold that little man was just simply awesome.
There is a blank spot missing here in my description. The things that lead to my divorce I really can’t talk about in a public forum. The last four years of my marriage were painful. I think I’d like to leave it at that.  The one thing I did do during this time was read. I read several books. I know enough now that I could probably be a marriage counselor.  It didn’t, however, save my marriage.
Right after my divorce my little boy would come over and stay with me during the week. It was such a comfort to have him there during those dark days. From the time we separated to the after the divorce, she would let him come over stay. That little four, then five-year-old boy helped me more than he will ever know. When I would have drop him off I noticed something in me I had never really experienced. I would just cry all the way home. I would start crying at sad movies or sad stories on the news. I got more than lazy and I just didn’t care. I was numb. My house went into foreclosure and was getting ready to go up for sheriff’s sale.  I did a lot of praying during that time. I felt I was caught in the middle of being a strong Christian that had no human to confide in or trust. I knew most of the answers already. You weren’t going to give me a biblical answer that I didn’t already know. Knowing is one thing, applying to your heart is another. Anyone I felt had enough biblical knowledge to help just couldn’t be available. I’m not the only person that has problems I would tell myself. Beside the fact I knew I would eventually get through it. Just needed more prayer and time.
One year ago I went to my family practice doctor for a routine checkup. I’ve had hypertension since the military. My doctor is a wonderful Christian woman who is just as much a good counselor as she is a doctor. She knows my background.  One thing I had finally opened up about with her was the way I was feeling. I hadn’t told anyone about that. I was going on four years after my divorce and I was still having the same issues. Don’t want to do anything. I wasn’t taking my blood pressure meds like I was supposed to.  I couldn’t keep a relationship. I was also crying for no reason what so ever. Sometimes I didn’t even know why. My self-esteem was the lowest it has ever been. I would get on dating sites and nobody I was interested in was interested in me. Then I would think who in the world would want a bald over weight middle aged guy? So my doctor hits me with this evaluation. She tells me it sounds like I have depression. No way on earth I was depressed. Nor would I ever be depressed. I am way too strong a Christian to be depressed. I went ahead and took the prescription and took it for a total of two days. Nope, didn’t like it at all. I was going to get rid of this sin on my own and with God’s help.
Five years of being a divorcee led me to a crossroads.   I started emotionally letting go of things. The day I let go of my house, it was pulled off of the sheriff’s sale. Another mortgage company bought the loan and gave me a rate I could handle. I’m upside down in it, but it was easier. I let go of the kids. I turned them over to God. They are his anyway. Not that I wasn’t going to be their dad or care about them.  I just was going to quit the worry. The last two years has been really life changing. I took a job as an instructor with FAA. God put me teaching with a Godly Christian man. I also started teaching with a younger Christian brother named Scott Wisecarver that helped me focus more on the Lord.  We really helped each other in that aspect. The way it’s supposed to be. I made up my mind to start living again. The problem was how to I make that happen?
First I knew I wanted to start teaching Bible again and resume serving the Lord. I had a passion for teaching adults and thought this would be something to start looking into once more. Scott and I put together a ministry website ASRMinistries.com. We also plan to do some internet radio soon.  Even if it doesn’t take off and do much, we know we’re at least doing something for the Lord. Something I really enjoy too.
I hadn’t been to the doctor in over a year. I was getting harder and harder the longer I put it off. It was time to go back and see her.  Yup, sure enough, after she chewed me out for not taking my own health serious enough. We went back to that depression talk.  I decided to go ahead and take the meds she was going to give me. We would then see how it would go. That was a month and half ago. I have been taking them faithfully for a month and half, every day. I sleep now much better. I don’t cry like I was. I also find I don’t worry about things as much. I still have those days. I was a typical man who didn’t clean house very well. My house is a pit right now. Laundry is clean, but laying everywhere. No way is anyone stepping foot in this house. Every mower and weed-eating device is broken. Thank God for great ex-in-laws that live next door. I’m behind on my mortgage payments, but I know things will be all right. I’m not worried at all about the dating thing either. When she comes along, it will hit me like a ton of bricks.
So back to the original question: Is depression sin? I cannot speak for anyone else on this subject except me. The answer for me was a resounding YES! I had not trusted the Lord enough to believe that he would do what he said he would do. Take care of me no matter what. I was trying to hang on to a house for all the wrong reasons. I didn’t want bad credit. I didn’t want the embarrassment of having a house foreclosed on. I didn’t trust that my kids would be okay without me there every day.  There’s no way they would be okay without their daddy there to guide them day in day out. No, it’s not ideal, but I know God will lead them when I can’t be there. Did my sin actually cause a chemical problem in my brain? I believe now that answer is yes also. I know I won’t need this stuff for the rest of my life. Hopefully not even for a year. It did fix something that did happen though. I’m not a doctor so I could never explain it. I just know it worked. I do believe there are some that can’t help that they have depression or other mental problems. I cannot explain why that is. For me mine leads back to the sin of not trusting God for my needs.
It’s been a long time that I have wanted to try and write this. I just could never get it done. It’s extremely hard to actually write and post this. Do I really want people to know this about me? My friend and one the pastors at my church, James Hunt, wrote an excellent article on this subject. Titled “Are you in sin if you are depressed?” It actually completed a circuit in my head that finally allowed me to sit and finish this. You should read that article as he covers a lot more on the subject than I. My intent in writing this article was more of a confession. Also, it is my hope that maybe someone who is experiencing something similar to me would find they are not alone. I’m on the right track now. If I were a prophet, I would have been Jonah. I know where I’m supposed to go sometimes. Although sometimes the great fish has to spit me out on the beach first. 

It was very hard for me too post this. Everything I thought was before is gone. I was a man. I didn’t cry. It wasn’t possible for me to be depressed. That was for other people. So now the mask is off and you see me for what I am. A big fat loser. I wonder how many friends would now judge me for this. Of course I know that’s just the pride talking. 

But maybe that’s what God had in mind. I’ve had my pride smashed properly enough for God to actually use me. 
 
 
            Eternity is forever. It is one of the things I can focus on. I know that in the end, God is going to put things back in their correct place and order. When we reach that place and time described in Revelation 21 and 22, this will be so far in the past. So long forgotten that I wonder if I will even remember enough to ask “Just what the heck was I thinking?”

No comments:

Post a Comment